Saturday, January 18, 2014

Impulse by Ellen Hopkins


Summary From Goodreads: 

Sometimes you don't wake up. But if you happen to, you know things will never be the same.
Three lives, three different paths to the same destination: Aspen Springs, a psychiatric hospital for those who have attempted the ultimate act -- suicide.
Vanessa is beautiful and smart, but her secrets keep her answering the call of the blade.
Tony, after suffering a painful childhood, can only find peace through pills.
And Conner, outwardly, has the perfect life. But dig a little deeper and find a boy who is in constant battle with his parents, his life, himself.
In one instant each of these young people decided enough was enough. They grabbed the blade, the bottle, the gun -- and tried to end it all. Now they have a second chance, and just maybe, with each other's help, they can find their way to a better life -- but only if they're strong and can fight the demons that brought them here in the first place.
Source:
I got this book from my local library! 
My Thoughts:
Ellen Hopkins write such disturbing books but they are so wonderfully written. 

This story follows three teens: Conner, Tony, and Vanessa, who are all suicidal. There are three point of views in the book: one for each character and every character had such tough lives. I felt bad for every one of them. 

I love books written in verse. (If you like any verse books let me know your favorites so I can check them out!) Every book I have read it verse just creates such a beautiful story with amazing writing and that is exactly what this book was. Ellen creates such beautifully written stories that make you feel all the feels. 

One complaint I did have about this book is very often I forgot which character's point of view I was reading and I had to go back and check multiple times which disturbed the flow of the writing at times. 

Overall, I enjoyed this book and I was not at all expecting that ending, totally caught me off guard!
My Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment